Thursday, March 20, 2008

What's in your marriage contract?

The divorce between ex-NJ Govenor Jim McGreevey and his former wife, Dina Matos McGreevey just keeps getting nastier. You can read more about the latest allegations here. I'm not going to specify them, as they are fairly torrid, to say the least, so you can read about them on your own if you wish.

One statement really caught my eye though. This is regarding Mr. McGreevey: "He claims he provided companionship and a child, thus fulfilling his part of the marriage contract."

I did a little research on marriage contracts, and there is a lot of information out there - way to much to discuss here. Type "marriage contract" into google and you'll see what I mean. Some of it is interesting, some is downright disgusting, but there is a lot of food for thought.

But, boy, that statement just irks me. Maybe I'm an oddball, but marriage means a lot more to me than "companionship and a child". It should certainly go without saying that I don't expect DH to be sleeping with men, or anybody else for that matter! I mean, isn't one of the fundamental assumptions when you marry that you won't be sleeping with anyone other than your spouse? That's certainly part of our marriage contract.

My heart aches for both of these people involved in this terrible divorce. I can't even begin to imagine actually being in this situation, much less having it reported on in the media. Having to face my family and my friends. And I feel worst of all for their little girl. She's six, so she can't possibly understand what's really going on, but she can feel the stress, she can feel the anger. And someday she'll be able to log on to the Internet, and read all the horrid details and accusations for herself.

I can't venture a guess as to whether these two are religious people or not, but, based only on what I've read, it doesn't appear that God was ever a part of their "marriage contract" and that was likely their first, and maybe biggest, mistake.


0 comments:

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio